Friday, February 18, 2011

Oops! Correction to Post Dated August 8, 2010

Oops! I found a couple of bugs in the code listed in the blog post titled: Segment Tree in F#. The bugs are in the "findCollect" and "findIter" functions, and they're really rather glaringly obvious (essentially different versions of the same bug). It looks like a “my-brain-was-out-to-lunch” error as I was transcribing the algorithm either from my head or from pseudo-code. In any case, it can be caught by a simple unit test or even code review, so I’m embarrassed that it got into the blog. My humblest apologies.

In order to avoid repeating the error, I’m thoroughly testing my correction, and I’ll post it when that testing is done. I’ll also post a better test example (that would have revealed this error).

In the meantime, the fix is quite simple, so readers may want to try figuring it out on their own. (Hint: try searching for values completely outside the range of the tree. This will force the bug to occur.)

-Neil

No comments: